v

v

Monday 29 April 2013

Baptism In The Holy Spirit - Six


The Baptism of John the Baptist Disciples


While Apollos was in Corinth, Paul traveled through the interior of the country and came down to Ephesus where he found some disciples. He said to them, “Did you receive the holy Spirit when you became believers?” They answered him, “We have never even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.” He said, “How were you baptized?” They replied, “With the baptism of John.” Paul then said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came upon them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. Altogether there were about twelve men. Acts 19:

PRAYER FOR GRACE:

Jesus my Lord, I confess to you and to all the world my need for your presence in my life. I am alone and in darkness without you. I am influenced and controlled by the many forces that surround me. Even though I struggle against them, it is sin that so easily dominates my life. Who can save me but you alone, my Lord and my God. Deliver me from the Evil One. Touch my life with that power which flows from your resurrection. Cause your Holy Spirit to be born in me anew. Prince of Peace and Lord of Glory reign now in my heart. Baptize me with your Holy Spirit and Fire. Raise me up to a New Life in you.

POINTS TO CONSIDER AS YOU PRAY:

  • See how the Spirit inspires Jesus' disciples to, "Go into the whole world and proclaim the gospel." This mission remains unchanged to this very day.
  • As a result of our baptism, each one of us is called to be a part of this mission. How do you see yourself participating?
  • Most baptized people today were baptized as infants. How would you respond to the question: "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you became a believer?" Can you point to a time when the Gift of the Holy Spirit came alive in you?
  • This is a new day, a new era in the life of the Church, do you have a sense that the Spirit is doing something new in our lives today?


COLLOQUY: Dear Lord ..... (here, I express the thoughts of my heart)



REVIEW OF PRAYER: Was there a time in your prayer that evoked a change in the way you were feeling?
  • Were you able to picture the event in your imagination?
  • Did you identify with any particular person in the passage?
  • Was there anything in your prayer that touched your heart?
  • Can you name the feelings you experienced?
  • Did you hear the Spirit, in your mind's ear, speaking to you?
  • What areas of your personal life seemed to be coming to mind as you prayed?
  • Do you have a desire to return again to this passage and prayer?
  • Described what you have learned.
  • What questions do you now have following your prayer?

I created this Chaplet, Chaplet For the Grace of Renewal, (Baptism of the Holy Spirit) some time ago. It is intended to provide an instrument of prayer with the same goals in mind as these series of posts. The complete chaplet with texts of scripture are found in the Pages section.







“I have told you this while I am with you.
The Advocate, the Holy Spirit
whom the Father will send in my name–
he will teach you everything
and remind you of all that I told you.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.