v

v

Monday 22 April 2013

Baptism In The Holy Spirit - Four

The Baptism of St. Paul


There was a disciple in Damascus named Ananias, and the Lord said to him in a vision, “Ananias.” He answered, “Here I am, Lord.” The Lord said to him, “Get up and go to the street called Straight and ask at the house of Judas for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is there praying, and in a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come in and lay his hands on him, that he may regain his sight.” But Ananias replied, “Lord, I have heard from many sources about this man, what evil things he has done to your holy ones in Jerusalem. And here he has authority from the chief priests to imprison all who call upon your name.” But the Lord said to him, “Go, for this man is a chosen instrument of mine to carry my name before Gentiles, kings, and Israelites, and I will show him what he will have to suffer for my name.” So Ananias went and entered the house; laying his hands on him, he said, “Saul, my brother, the Lord has sent me, Jesus who appeared to you on the way by which you came, that you may regain your sight and be filled with the holy Spirit.” Immediately things like scales fell from his eyes and he regained his sight. He got up and was baptized, and when he had eaten, he recovered his strength.
PRAYER FOR GRACE:

Jesus my Lord, I confess to you and to all the world my need for your presence in my life. I am alone and in darkness without you. I am influenced and controlled by the many forces that surround me. Even though I struggle against them, it is sin that so easily dominates my life. Who can save me but you alone, my Lord and my God. Deliver me from the Evil One. Touch my life with that power which flows from your resurrection. Cause your Holy Spirit to be born in me anew. Prince of Peace and Lord of Glory reign now in my heart. Baptize me with your Holy Spirit and Fire. Raise me up to a New Life in you.

POINTS TO CONSIDER AS YOU PRAY:

  • The Lord hand picked the other apostles and here he is hand picking Paul of be an apostle as well; a most unexpected choice.
  • One has to smile, listening to Ananias warning the Lord about his choice of Paul.
  • Qualifications to be in the Lord's service may not always match those you would expected.
  • Critical to this question is the Voice of the Lord, hearing his call, able to distinguish the Lord's voice among the many.
  • The role of Ananias may appear small compared the great missionary role Paul is fulfill, but for the Lord's plan, no less important.
  • There will be no "New Evangelization", without evangelists. Every baptized person, by the fact of their baptism, is called to evangelize.
  • The plans and its strategies are the Lord's. Our first response, listen to his Voice calling.
  • Lord, is there a new plan for me? "Speak Lord, your servant is listening."

COLLOQUY: Dear Lord ..... (here, I express the thoughts of my heart)


REVIEW OF PRAYER:

  • Was there a time in your prayer that evoked a change in the way you were feeling?
  • Were you able to picture the event in your imagination?
  • Did you identify with any particular person in the passage?
  • Was there anything in your prayer that touched your heart?
  • Can you name the feelings you experienced?
  • Did you hear the Spirit, in your mind's ear, speaking to you?
  • What areas of your personal life seemed to be coming to mind as you prayed?
  • Do you have a desire to return again to this passage and prayer?
  • Described what you have learned.
  • What questions do you now have following your prayer?


PRAYING WITH MARY ON PENTECOST


Holy Mary Mother of God, on Pentecost Day, you gathered all the friends of Jesus in that meeting room of prayer. Jesus had instructed that all must come together in prayer, to wait in trusting hope for the Promised One to come. In the mystery of God’s grace, let us gather with you now. We desire with all our hearts that the Anointing of Pentecost may come upon us once again. Pray for us dear Mary, that the Mighty Wind of God’s Breath will come and fill our house of prayer. Pray that Jesus your Son will send down upon us now, those tongues of flame, to en kindle in our hearts the fire of love and the light of faith. Pray that our tongues be freed so that we might fill this house with the praises of God. Pray O Queen of heaven that the Holy Spirit will give to our hearts a song of joy and thanksgiving for His mighty works now done in our midst. Come Holy Spirit, come. Come down upon us now. Melt our frozen hearts, reshape our distorted minds, and renew our sagging spirits with your Breath of Life. Fr. Curtin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.