v

v

Monday 25 February 2019

Seventh Sunday - 2019



Luke 6:27-38
Jesus sets before us some very challenging statements in this gospel passage; “Love your enemies . . . do not judge . . . forgive and you will be forgiven!” This seems to go against our deep-rooted sense of fairness, of justice. Why must we forgive those who harm us, should they not be held accountable for their wrongdoing? Is not justice the very foundation of our society? When you look up at the archways to our courts of justice, you see symbol of the scales, balanced evenly, one side measured against the other. If you do the crime you must do the time.

Simply put, this is the ancient principle of “an eye for an eye.” (Leviticus 24:19) In many places around the world, if you murder someone you will be put to death. Canada has done away with the death penalty and replaced it with life in prison.

Let us look a little more deeply into what Jesus is teaching here. In Matthew’s account of today’s gospel we read: “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth’, and then he continues; “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you ….” Mtt. 5:38, 43.

Here, Jesus is bringing to light full meaning the Father’s words spoke through the prophet Ezekiel, “I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, says the Lord God, rather that they should be converted from their evil ways and live.” Ez. 18:23. Now the key word here is “converted”. The goal of forgiveness is conversion, a deep and true turning away from evil doing and embracing all that is true and good. This is what the Father wants for all people. God wants every person to come to heaven and share in His divine glory. But that is not possible if their hearts are full of evil. First, they must be purified, (converted) then they can come.

This is beautifully demonstrated at the scene of the crucifixion. Crucified with Jesus on his left side is the unrepentant, unconverted thief challenging Jesus to cause their escape from justice. On his right is the other thief, equally guilty of the same evil, but now repentant, knowing he deserves punishment for his crimes, asking only mercy. In him Jesus sees that “conversion of heart” he is looking to find in all sinners, so he can take them home with him to Paradise.

Jesus is the incarnation of the Father loving his enemies; full of forgiveness for all sinners. Just as he now teaches us to do the same. In Matthew 9:10 we read: Later, as Jesus was dining at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with Him and His disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they asked His disciples, “Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?” On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

A further note: do we not understand that Jesus love is unconditional? Is not adding “conversion” to the mix adding a condition? Jesus’ love is unconditional. You need only to look at the cross to know that. His love is always in his heart for the sinner. It’s our choice to accept or reject his love.

On Good Friday we sing what is known as The Reproaches. Not words of scripture per say but speak so truly of the heart of Jesus the lover rejected.


My people, what have I done to you
How have I offended you? Answer me!
I led you out of Egypt, from slavery to freedom,
but you led your Savior to the cross.

My people, what have I done to you?
How have I offended you? Answer me!
For forty years I led you safely through the desert.
I fed you with manna from heaven,
and brought you to a land of plenty;
but you led your Savior to the cross.


What more could I have done for you.
I planted you as my fairest vine,
but you yielded only bitterness:
when I was thirsty you gave me vinegar to drink, 
and you pierced your Savior with a lance.

"My people...."
I gave you a royal scepter,
but you gave me a crown of thorns.
I raised you to the height of majesty,
but you have raised me high on a cross.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.