v

v

Saturday 13 April 2019

Passion (Palm) Sunday - 2019

.


We could not overestimate the importance of Holy Week that is now beginning. Jesus speaks of it as "the Hour", that point in the plan of our salvation that is absolutely critical - Satan and Jesus face to face who will prevail?

In the garden, where Jesus begins this "Hour" in profound prayer, he called his  disciples to join with Him in prayer, and their response was . . . 
Then Jesus went with them to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray." He took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be grieved and agitated. Then he said to them, "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and stay awake with me."
And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from me; yet not what I want but what you want."
Then he came to the disciples and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, "So, could you not stay awake with me one hour? Stay awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
Again he went away for the second time and prayed, "My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done." Again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy.
So leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words. Then he came to the disciples and said to them, "Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? See, the HOUR is at hand, and the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Mtt. 26:36
Now the invitation to prayer is made to us. Have we chosen a time and place to enter into prayer - our scripture text to ponder - our determination to be free of distraction - our true consent to share the cup that Jesus drinks. Can I stay awake with Him one Hour?

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Over the years of this blog I have developed several reflections on these holy days. I recommend them to you once again.



On the side panel of this blog page you can find links to some of these posts.

Also, further down on the side panel there is the archive of past years. The March/April months will also take you to past Lenten posts.



.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.