v

v

Wednesday 8 December 2021

Advent Meditation - 2021


In our reflection on this Advent, the First Coming of Christ, it was noted that in fact there are Three Comings of Christ. The numbers assigned to each are actually titles not order of sequence, that is why right at this very moment the Third Coming of Christ is happening - Christ is coming into the lives of people all over the world.

But in this titled Third Coming, Jesus is unseen, invisible to the naked eye. Because of this the Third Coming presents us with a challenge - believing in him who is unseen.
In the Office of Readings for this past Friday, Saint Anselm presented us with a beautiful meditation in which he depicts the soul in a deep longing to see the face of Jesus.

"Lord, you are my God and you are my Lord, and I have never seen you. You have made me and remade me, and you have given me all the good things I possess and still I do not know you. I was made in order to see you, and I have not yet done that for which I was made."

 Why is this, why has Jesus designed this Third Coming with such a challenge attached to it? It all has to do with Faith. In our natural world seeing is believing. That is why the numbers of Catholic believers is in decline in our part of the world today. Like St. Thomas this age says - unless I see, touch with my fingers . . . without proof I will not believe.

The Realm of God with the now glorified Jesus is not made "of" this world, it is not made of physical components. It is made of something wholly "other" than any thing we know. So Jesus being present now happens in an entirely other way - but in no way less real. The word for this is Mystical. The saints from the time of Pentecost to this very day have shown us that we can access this mystical realm now, and when we do we see. This is what is meant by the Spiritual Life, and it is open to any who wish to enter.

At Mass, when the celebrant elevates the consecrated host we are looking into the face of Jesus truly present here and now. That is why we say in our hearts the words uttered by St. Thomas, "... my Lord and my God". The one standing beside us, not having a living faith exclaims "... where?...".

Christmas is a very visual time, with a multitude of brightly coloured lights, festive decorations, and models of the nativity scene - so much to see. Yes, but do you really see? 

Desire for the vision of God From the Proslogion by Saint Anselm, bishop

 Insignificant man, escape from your everyday business for a short while, hide for a moment from your restless thoughts. Break off from your cares and troubles and be less concerned about your tasks and labors. Make a little time for God and rest a while in him.

Enter into your mind's inner chamber. Shut out everything but God and whatever helps you to seek him; and when you have shut the door, look for him. Speak now to God and say with your whole heart: I seek your face; your face, Lord, I desire.

Lord, my God, teach my heart where and how to seek you, where and how to find you. Lord, if you are not here where shall I look for you in your absence? Yet if you are everywhere, why do I not see you when you are present? But surely you dwell in "light inaccessible." And where is light inaccessible? How shall I approach light inaccessible? Or who will lead me and bring me into it that I may see you there? And then, by what signs and under what forms shall I seek you? I have never seen you, Lord my God; I do not know your face.

Lord most high, what shall this exile do, so far from you? What shall your servant do, tormented by love of you and cast so far from your face? He yearns to see you, and your face is too far from him. He desires to approach you, and your dwelling is unapproachable. He longs to find you, and does not know your dwelling place. He strives to look for you, and does not know your face.

Lord, you are my God and you are my Lord, and I have never seen you. You have made me and remade me, and you have given me all the good things I possess and still I do not know you. I was made in order to see you, and I have not yet done that for which I was made.

Lord, how long will it be? How long, Lord, will you forget us? How long will you turn your face away from us? When will you look upon us and hear us? When will you enlighten our eyes and show us your face? When will you give yourself back to us?

Look upon us, Lord, hear us and enlighten us, show us your very self. Restore yourself to us that it may go well with us whose life is so evil without you. Take pity on our efforts and our striving toward you, for we have no strength apart from you.

Teach me to seek you, and when I seek you show yourself to me, for I cannot seek you unless you teach me, nor can I find you unless you show yourself to me. Let me seek you in desiring you and desire you in seeking you, find you in loving you.

  




.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.