v

v

Saturday 2 December 2023

First Week of Advent - 2023



 Time is something we take for granted, ours to use at our discretion. But there in lies the problem. We do not create time; we are only the managers of time. Time is a gift given by God, for a purpose.

As servants of the landowner, a portion of the “garden of time” is assigned to us, wherein to plant the works of holiness and reap an abundant harvest, as best we can.

The gospels are rich in this imagery, given by Jesus in his parables, to help us to learn and understand the purpose of our existence in time. So, what kind of servant am I?
Misguided: – increasingly, the shroud of secularism is spreading over the mind of this generation. With man at the centre, time is exclusively ours to do with as we please. There is no other to which we must account.

Negligent: – those who have been informed with a conscience that teaches us of responsibility for what happens in our time. Yet tomorrow seems to be the time of choice.
Selfish: – yes, but time is limited so me first.
Wise: – every day is my last day. At what works will I be found engaged when he comes to call me?

The First Sunday of Advent begins a new year of grace; a new year to study the gospels and the works of holiness; a new gift of time. What lies ahead is hidden. Only one thing is certain - we will be asked for an accounting of this time spent.































The following is meditations on the gospels of Advent 
under the meditation form of Lectio Divina.

Here is a link to a video explaining Lectio Divina - >>> LINK <<<



Lectio
Gospel Mk 13:33-37
Jesus said to his disciples: "Be watchful! Be alert! You do not know when the time will come. It is like a man traveling abroad. He leaves home and places his servants in charge, each with his own work, and orders the gatekeeper to be on the watch. Watch, therefore; you do not know when the Lord of the house is coming, whether in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or in the morning. May he not come suddenly and find you sleeping. What I say to you, I say to all: 'Watch!'"


Meditatio

Two millennia have now passed, the Second Coming is taking longer than expected. But remember Peter’s warning give in 2 Pt 2:3 “Above all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires. They will say, “Where is this ‘coming’ he promised? But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.

My days are much fewer and each day brings me closer. Each new  Advent reminds us of this. But there is a real presence now – each new day brings a new opportunity to encounter Christ. To which group do you belong, those bored waiting, lost in trivial pursuits, or those who begin each day fully prepared to meet the Lord in unexpected places, in unexpected ways?



Oratio

Lord, you promised to remain with us always. Yet, I live and act as though you are distant and remote, hidden and unapproachable. You have become not a person but an idea, a theology, a subject for debate; something I bring to mind from time to time. Lord, since you are here help me find you. Show me where to look for you; in everyday places, among the people I meet, in that last place I would think to look.



Contemplatio

But Mary of Magdala stayed outside the tomb weeping …  and saw two angels in white sitting there … “Woman, why are you weeping?” … “They have taken my Lord, and I don’t know where they laid him.”… She thought it was the gardener and said to him, “Sir, if you carried him away, tell me where you laid him, … Jesus said to … [ you, insert your name ]  Jo. 20:11



Monday Week One

Lectio

Gospel Mt 8:5-11
When Jesus entered Capernaum, a centurion approached him and appealed to him, saying, "Lord, my servant is lying at home paralyzed, suffering dreadfully." He said to him, "I will come and cure him." The centurion said in reply, "Lord, I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof; only say the word and my servant will be healed. For I too am a man subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it." When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, "Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith. I say to you, many will come from the east and the west, and will recline with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob at the banquet in the Kingdom of heaven."


Meditatio

The Centurion was a member of the occupying forces controlling the land of the Jewish people. Whatever his beliefs may have been, he had come to learn of Jesus’ healing powers. He may not have had the true religion, but he had the right attitude with which to approach Jesus. Humble surrender. Even though he had authority and power, he made himself a little less than the servant for whom he was advocating. With what attitude do you approach Jesus? Is it Lord, my will be done or is it speak Lord, I have come to do your will?


Oratio

O Lord, during these holy days of Advent, help me to examine the condition of my faith. Has it grown from an expectant faith to a faith that expects - because it deserves. So me how pride my have invaded my heart, causing me to think that my faith and devotion are of my own doing and not a work of your grace in me.


Contemplatio

(the Master) … Does he thank the servant because he did what he was told? So you also, when you have done everything commanded of you, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’” Luke 17:9



Tuesday Week One

Lectio

Gospel Lk 10:21-24
Jesus rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him." Turning to the disciples in private he said, "Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it."


Meditatio

“Seeing is believing”. As believers we are living in a conflicted time. What exactly are the facts in the beliefs we embrace? History questions whether our faith stories really happened, archeology often finds no evidence, psychology suggests myth is often preferred over substance, and some in science suggest an alternate truth. “No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him." True faith is a gift, a revelation.


Oratio

Lord, what I desire is that you will give me the eyes of a child during these holy days of Advent. How often I have walked right past you, as I searched for you, not recognizing you where right here. How often I heard your voice, your calling, yet thought it was a myth-sayer’s babble. Grant to me now a guardian Spirit as go in search of you anew.


Contemplatio

Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.” Jesus replied, “Philip, I have been with you all this time, and still you do not know Me? Anyone who has seen Me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Jo. 14:8




No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.