v

v

Thursday 9 August 2018

Songbird



I awoke one morning
To the sounds of a songbird singing
Just outside of my window.
So beautiful was its song
That my spirits were sent souring within me
Raising me up out of the dark place that encaged me.

Each new morning that followed began with this messenger’s song
And the peace that it brought me was a 
light for that day.

Yet a hidden fear lay buried deep with me
Which would whisper to me in the night - what if . . . .
A close up of a cage

src=

Then one morning I was awakened by silence
Loud and painful as only aloneness can hear;
And so it was, the next day and the next, and more.

Resigned to the sound of darkness I expected nothing more
When suddenly I awoke to that beautiful voice calling again.
My Songbird had returned.

Quickly joy and fear conspired, and a plan was plotted.
I captured my messenger of joy with gentle hands
A place within my walls I had crafted to encage it
With every comfort a songbird could ever want.
And I retired that night in confidence of my own making.

The next morning, I awoke – not to songs but silence
My captive messenger but fluttering its wings as if to fly
While I pleaded for its song again and again.

It did not take many days of silence for me to accept
I must free my silent captive and give it flight.
That night I retired once again into my darkness
The songs with their messages of joy and peace now gone
My days would begin with only myself alone as guide.

During the night an angel visited my dreams
To retell in plain words the lesson I seemed unable to grasp.
“God’s messenger is a gift freely given to those who seek true freedom
Encaged you will remain as long as you believe in cages.

You fail to understand the songbird I sent you
Is My Song of Truth to free you
Free you from the cages your self-will 
wantonly constructs
Wherein you try to capture the peace your heart so desires.”

Startled, I awoke to the Songbird singing yet again
And its message which now I can hear with the ears
 of an understanding heart.

Now I pray not with words, rather with wings.

“Come fly with me now and I will take you there
To where your true heart will be found
And to where He is waiting.”


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.