v

v

Sunday 26 August 2018

Twenty-first Sunday - 2018




As a result of this,
many of his disciples returned to their former way of life
and no longer accompanied him.
Jesus then said to the Twelve, "Do you also wish to leave?"
Simon Peter answered him, "Master, to whom shall we go?
You have the words of eternal life.
We have come to believe
and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God."
John 6:66-71                      

Today’s gospel text brings to a close our reflection on chapter six of John’s gospel, which has been our focus these past five Sundays - and it ends in a serious crisis. “Many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him.”

Things started out wonderfully when Jesus feed the large crowd with only five loaves and two fish. When the people saw this, they identified Jesus as the prophet all Israel was waiting for. They were going to make him their king. But Jesus avoided this and left them. The next day Jesus rejoins the crowd who are still looking for him, but now everything is about to change.

Jesus tells them that he has come to feed them with the bread of life – they all acclaim, give us this bread. Jesus then announces that he is the bread come down from heaven – the bread he has come to give his flesh to eat.
“Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him”.
To the Jewish ears there could not be a more repugnant idea – eating human flesh – disgusting, totally pagan and evil. The crisis is struck, and many walk away.  What is striking here is that Jesus does not try to soften his language – explaining “Transubstantiation” – it will still look and taste like real bread. Jesus in no way wants anyone to think of the “Communion Bread” as merely a symbolic recalling of the Last Supper. The Eucharist is Jesus’ flesh and blood.

What are we to make of “Many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer accompanied him” in today’s experience? Even though we see the Eucharist still in the form of bread and wine, many people have a problem connecting it to Jesus’ truth flesh and blood. And if all it is is a symbol, why is coming to Mass and receiving Communion all that important?  So many no longer come to this table.

Each year at this time the liturgy takes us back to this chapter six of John’s gospel and it does this so that we can examine our position on this profoundly important question regarding the Eucharist.

When I take this Eucharist into my hands and then eat it, what am I thinking? Is my body and Jesus body now becoming one - a true and mystical "Union"?

We are living in a time of crisis in the Church - a crisis of faith. What will get us through this crisis? 

"The words I have spoken to you are Spirit and life. Butthere are some of you who do not believe."

"For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father."

Faith is after all a work of grace. There is a plan to be sure, and when it is revealed the Eucharist will be at the centre of it.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Videos

Featured Videos.